Economic Developers within the Southern Virginia Regional Alliance quickly moved to form a COVID-19 Emergency Task Force to monitor COVID-19 and collect information on economic resources for Southern Virginia companies. Below is a list of programs and resources currently available. We will continue to populate this list with additional resources as they become available.
Navigate to a specific section below:
Find vital information on the status of COVID-19 regulations and support. Many local programs are governed and have allocations flow through the states subject to federal guidelines. This is an ideal starting point for assistance, further enhanced by non-governmental state resources as well as federal and local information.
Commonwealth of Virginia - Coronavirus (COVID-19) measures to ensure the health and safety of Virginians.
- If you have offers of assistance (donations, in-kind, discounted, contract), please provide them via http://virginia.gov/covid19supplies
- If you have products that you are offering for purchase, please ensure that your business is registered in eVA, link provided here: https://eva.virginia.gov/register-now.html (this is not necessary for donations)
- To register to receive regular emails from the VDEM during VEOC activations for emergencies, disasters, and planned events, go to http://bit.ly/VaPrivateSector
- EO 53 Temporary Restrictions on Restaurants, recreational, entertainment, gatherings, non-essential retail business, and closure of K-12 Schools due to COVID-19
- EO 53 - Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Executive Order Fifty-Three - Important updates to businesses and individuals on March 24, 2020 Executive order 53 from Governor Northam.
- EO 53 Amended Governor Northam Extends Business Closures for Two Weeks to May 8
- EO 53 Second Amended Temporary Restrictions on Restaurants, recreational, entertainment, gatherings, non-essential retail business, adn closure of K-12 Schools due to COVID-19
- EO 55 - Temporary Stay at Home Order
- EO 61 and Order of Public Health Emergency Three - Phase One Easing Of Certain Temporary Restrictions Due To Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Governor Northam Unveils Blueprint for Easing Public Health Restrictions
- EO 63 -
- EO 65 -
- EO 65 - Safer at Home: Phase Two Guidelines for All Business Sectors
- Governor Northam Shares Guidance for Phased Reopening of PreK-12 Schools
- Phase Guidance for Virginia Schools - The following guidance is intended to mitigate risk of COVID-19 transmission in public and private prek-12 school settings, while supporting the resumption of peer-to-peer learning and providing crucial support for parents and guardians returning to work.
- Summary of Virginia's Phased Return to School Plan - (Powerpoint)
- Governor Northam Provides Guidance for Reopening Higher Education Institution
- EO 67 - Order of Public Health Emergency Seven Phase Three Easing of Certain Temporary Restrictions Due to Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19)
- Safer At Home: Phase Three Guidelines For All Business Sectors
- Forward Virginia: Phase Three - Frequently Asked Questions
- *NEW REBUILD! VA Grant - The Rebuild VA Grant Fund is a program to help small businesses and non-profits whose normal operations were disrupted by COVID-19, including restaurants, brick and mortar retail, exercise and fitness facilities, personal care and personal grooming services, entertainment and public amusement establishments, and campgrounds.
- EO 53 Temporary Restrictions on Restaurants, recreational, entertainment, gatherings, non-essential retail business, and closure of K-12 Schools due to COVID-19
- Resources - Outreach, Education And Training For The COVID-19 Emergency Temporary Standard, 16VAC25-220
- Read the DOLI News Release
- Emergency Temporary Standard Regulation - Effective July 27, 2020
- Emergency Temporary Standard Training Presentation
- Nine Steps to Achieve Compliance
Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - (VDACS) provides relevant and up-to-date guidance and resources related to agriculture and agribusiness concerns.
Virginia Department of Education - provides division and building-level administrators, school health coordinators and educators with ready access to up-to-date resources and information about COVID-19 and the steps schools should take to safeguard the health of students and staff.
Virginia Department of Health - Continual updates on the latest numbers and information relevant to COVID-19.
Virginia Department of Housing & Community Development - DHCD is making available current CDBG funding to small cities, towns and rural counties to respond to local needs related to COVID-19 response.
- Using CDBG Resources in Response to Covid-19 - The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program will assist units of local government and communities in response to the health and economic impact of COVID-19 by supporting planning grant, open submission and urgent need recovery activities.
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles - Updates on DMV procedures affected by office closures
Virginia Department of Small Business & Supplier Diversity - List of COVID-19 Resources for Small Businesses
Virginia Department of Taxation - Tax-related coronavirus updates including relief for taxpayers affected by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic
Virginia Employment Commission - Information on the latest changes to benefits application processes and requirement changes due to COVID-19, unemployment process, and office closings.
Virginia Tourism Corporation - Virginia Tourism has provided guidance for travelers, meeting planners, business resources, and support materials for marketing professionals.
- Blueprint For Getting Virginians Back to Work, a Virginia Chamber-led initiative to provide businesses and policymakers with recommendations on operating in the current economic climate caused by COVID-19 and developing a path to reopening the economy. Members of the business community are encouraged to participate in the SURVEY.
Virginia Economic Developers Association (VEDA) - News and resources from VEDA the voice of economic development in Virginia including weekly recorded webinars
Virginia Municipal League (VML) - VML has developed a regularly-updated, clickable resource addressing questions frequently asked of VML regarding the use and tracking of CARES Act funds by localities - Analysis of CARES Act Funding Questions Raised by Local Governments about Eligible Spending Purposes.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention - As the nation's health protection agency, the CDC is the main source of information for health, safety, and security threats.
- Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers from the CDC - Plan, prepare and respond to coronavirus disease
Coronavirus.gov - Community resources, virus updates, and small business guidance
Federal Reserve System - newly launched Main Street Lending Program - Federal Reserve takes additional actions to provide up to $2.3 trillion in loans to support the economy
- The NBEOC continues to host calls with private sector partners every Monday and Friday at 3:00PM ET. To participate, dial 1-800-619-3427, passcode: 2725748#
- Updates and documents are also shared on the NBEOC Adobe Connect dashboard at: https://fema.connectsolutions.com/nbeoc/.
- At the regional level, GSA has created a market research form for us to better understand bedding, hygiene, medical supplies, DME, office supplies and facilities capabilities. Vendors are welcome to fill out the form at: https://feedback.gsa.gov/jfe/form/SV_cTGW6JMlo2iEFxz.
IRS Coronavirus Relief - The IRS has established a special section focused on steps to help taxpayers, businesses and others affected by the coronavirus.
- Businesses and Tax-Exempt Entities New Employer Tax Credits - Your small or large business or tax-exempt organization may be eligible for COVID-19 relief.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) - Guidance on preparing workplace on COVID-19
U.S. Small Business Administration - Small business guidance & loan resources
- Disaster Assistance - The SBA provides low-interest disaster loans to help businesses and homeowners recover from declared disasters.
- Paycheck Protection Program - Eligible recipients may qualify for a loan up to $10 million determined by 8 weeks of prior average payroll plus an additional 25% of that amount. Loan payments will be deferred for six months. The Paycheck Protection Program resumed accepting applications July 6, 2020, at 9:00 AM EDT in response to President signing the program's extension legislation. The new deadline to apply for a Paycheck Protection Program loan is August 8, 2020.
- Paycheck Protection Program Report - Approvals through 4/13/20
- Paycheck Protection Program - Frequently Asked Questions - Document of FAQS from the Small Business Administration in consultation with the Department of the Treasury
- Paycheck Protection Program - Coronavirus Emergency Loans Small Business Guide and Checklist - Prepared by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program Application - small business owners are eligible to apply for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan advance of up to $10,000. Funds will be made available within three days of a successful application, and this loan advance will not have to be repaid.SBA is now accepting new applications.
- SBA Debt Relief - SBA Debt Relief program will provide a reprieve to small businesses. The SBA will pay the principal and interest of new 7(a) loans issued prior to September 27, 2020, and the SBA will pay the principal and interest of current 7(a) loans for a period of six months.
- SBA Express Bridge Loans - allows small businesses who currently have a business relationship with an SBA Express Lender to access up to $25,000 with less paperwork.
- Government Contracting - is focused on assisting with the continuity of operations for small business contracting programs and small businesses with federal contracts.
- Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- SBA Products and Resources
- Local Assistance
- Find Eligible SBA Lenders - Use this tool to find a nearby lender eligible to issue a loan under the Paycheck Protection Program.
Virginia SBDC - Recovery Resources for Small Businesses - As businesses begin to look at reopening and/or planning to transition to the 'new normal,' there are a number of factors to consider and decisions to be made. The Virginia SBDC recommends using the process below no matter what stage you are in to determine your next steps.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce - Combating the coronavirus resources for businesses
- U.S. Chamber Foundation Launches Grant Program to Support Small Business Recovery - the Save Small Business Fund is a grantmaking initiative offering short-term relief for small employers in the United States and its territories. **Due to overwhelming interest in this grant program, they have reached their capacity and are not accepting new applicants at this time.
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) - Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) - Includes FAQs on critical infrastructure, crop insurance, economic research, farm programs, food safety, and more.
- Secretary Perdue Statement on Economic Injury Disaster Loans Being Available to U.S. Agricultural Businesses Impacted by COVID-19 Pandemic
- USDA Unveils Tool to Help Rural Communities Address the COVID-19 Pandemic - U.S. Secretary of Agriculture unveiled a one-stop-shop of federal programs that can be used by rural communities, organizations and individuals impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The COVID-19 Federal Rural Resource Guide is a first-of-its-kind resource for rural leaders looking for federal funding and partnership opportunities
U.S. Department of Homeland Security Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency - Memorandum on Identification of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers During Covid-19 Response
U.S. Department of Labor Coronavirus Resources - Resources to help workers and employers prepare for the COVID-19 virus
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employer Paid Leave Requirements - Employer Paid Leave Requirements effective April 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.
U.S. Economic Development Administration EDA CARES Act Recovery Assistance - EDA CARES Act Recovery Assistance, which is being administered under the authority of the bureau's flexible Economic Adjustment Assistance (EAA) (PDF) program, provides a wide-range of financial assistance to communities and regions as they respond to and recover from the impacts of the pandemic.
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission - What You Should Know About the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and COVID-19
U.S. Senate Committee on Small Business & Entrepreneurship - The Small Business Owner’s Guide to the CARES Act - To help small business owners and entrepreneurs better understand the new programs that will soon be available to them, this comprehensive guide was created.
Hunton Andrews Kurth
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Center - Collection of resources to help clients understand and respond to the legal implications of this global health emergency
- Government Relations and Economic Development Pandemic Resource Center - Resources dedicated to government relations and economic development
- Small Business Association 7(a) Loan Program - An Overview of the Small Business Association 7(a) Loan Program and Summary of Other CARES Act SBA Provisions
- COVID-19 and Employee Temperature Screenings – What Employers Need to Know Regarding Temperature Checks
Littler: Frequently Asked Questions on Workplace Privacy and COVID-19 - Answers to FAQs about an employer’s privacy obligations for medical information questionnaires, temperature screenings, self-reporting obligations, and medical examinations.
Cushman & Wakefield
- Are You Prepared to Return to the Workplace? - Workplace specialists captured more than 2.5 million data points from workers all over the globe in the pre-COVID-19 era and a further 1.7 million data points from more than 40,000 respondents in the current work from home environment to develop a report on the future of workplace.
Warehouse Readiness Essentials Checklist - experts in the Logistics, Industrial and Production sectors compiled the Warehouse Readiness Essentials Checklist to share experiences, industry knowledge and best practices across the globe, including insights from key partners.
- Retail Readiness Essentials Checklist - Retail experts have compiled the Retail Readiness Essentials Checklist to share experiences, industry knowledge and best practices across the globe.
- Recovery Readiness Guide - A How-to Guide for Reopening your Workplace, a comprehensive guide for real estate tenants and landlords on reopening workplaces as stay-at-home restrictions are lifted.
- The Safe Six Checklist that Brett White, Executive Chairman & CEO of Cushman & Wakefield, discussed on CNBC, Bloomberg and Good Morning America.
GRANTSPACE - Where can I find emergency financial resources to help with COVID-19 hardships? This site has a very comprehensive list of grant opportunities, from state and federal grants, to private sector grants, to industry specific grants large and small.
COVID-19 impact: Understanding the importance of supply chains -Business professor explains how supply chains may be affected during a pandemic
GENEDGE - Information and resources for Virginia manufacturers
- Impact of COVID-19 on Business Survey Results
- Virginia Supply Chain Connector - GENEDGE is bringing together manufacturers from across Virginia to address the shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) that is hitting health care providers hard. Join the Virginia Supply Chain Connector and be part of the effort to build a Virginia-based supply chain for PPE.
- Virginia Needs Your InputThe Commonwealth is requesting your feedback in the form of a survey to get a better sense of PPE needs from Virginia businesses as they start the reopening process. The results of this survey could provide a better sense of businesses’ confidence levels regarding PPE needs as Virginia considers reopening the economy, as well as what role they are looking for the state government to play. SURVEY
Main Street America - Existing resources, opportunities, and community response examples to help Main Street districts during this crisis.
Southern Piedmont Technology Council - List of technology resources available including teleworking/security, business, technology and education resources, and free technology app offerings.
Verizon and LISC COVID-19 Recovery Fund - Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) and Verizon are offering grants of up to $10,000, especially to entrepreneurs of color, women-owned businesses and other enterprises in historically under-served places who don’t have access to flexible, affordable capital.
Virginia Career Works – West Piedmont Region Region Rapid Response- APPLICATION - Assist small businesses (fewer than 250 employees per site) with certain costs related to the COVID-19 crisis that mitigates or minimizes potential job losses. Examples: Paying for cleaning services and supplies, purchasing items that can assist employees in teleworking.
Virginia Farm Bureau Producer Resources Related to the Coronavirus COVID-19 - Timely and relevant information related to farm operations during this public health challenge
Virginia Manufacturers Association (VMA) - Updates from the VMA for Virginia’s manufacturing sector, its employees and supply chain.
Virginia SBDC - Longwood - COVID-19 business resources page
The latest information on local and regional support, office closings, and webinars and outreach to businesses and citizens.
- Patrick County
- Patrick County Chamber of Commerce
- Martinsville City and Henry County - informational page authorized by Henry County, the Henry County Public Service Authority, and the City of Martinsville to serve as a community resource on the latest updates regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Martinsville Henry County Chamber of Commerce
- Martinsville Henry County Economic Development
- Pittsylvania County
- Danville City
- Danville Pittsylvania County Economic Development - The City of Danville and Pittsylvania County have put together a running list of resources for regional businesses.
Danville IDA approved three emergency grant, loan programs for small businesses - Small Business Rent Relief Grant(Description of Grant), Marketing and eCommerce Matching Grant (Description of Grant) and Small Business Emergency Loan Program (Description of Loan)
- Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce- COVID-19 resources including Chamber webinars and information for businesses, state and local resources and health information.
- Halifax County
- Halifax County Chamber of Commerce - Covid-19 member resources including member updates, small business resources, local health updates, and educational resources.
- The Halifax County Chamber of Commerce has created a comparison graphic highlighting several points for the EIDL and PPP loan options for small businesses.
- SoVa Wednesday Webinars: COVID-19 Human Resource Concerns | RECORDING | Bios | Presentations
- SoVa Wednesday Webinars: Business and Economic Impact of COVID-19 | Bios | Presentation | RECORDING
- SoVa Wednesday Webinars: Marketing for Reopening your Business | RECORDING | Speaker Bios | Presentations
- SoVa Wednesday Webinar: Forward Virginia Recovery Plan | RECORDING | Bios
- SoVa Wednesday Webinars: COVID-19 Relief Funding - RECORDING | Speaker Bios | Presentations
- SoVa Wednesday Webinars: Supply Chain Challenges and Future Opportunities - RECORDING | Speaker Bios
- VEDP - Global Trade Disruptions: What Businesses Should Know About Tariffs, Trade Actions, and Supply Chains Recording
- SBA Recordings -List of available SBA Economic Resources webinars
- International Trade in a COVID-19 World – Export Financing During Uncertain Times - Recording
- VEDP Legal Considerations During Uncertain Times - Recording
- CARES Act Resources for Small Business - Covers Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL), the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), additional small business benefits, as well as other important considerations - Recording| Presentation
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act - Attorneys Sam Jackson and Mandy Strickland Floyd, will guide you through the new law’s requirements and provide you with some bottom-line answers to how this law may impact your business and employment decisions - Recording | Presentation
- International Economic Development Council (IEDC) COVID-19: Preparing for What Comes Next - Recording
Danville Pittsylvania Chamber of Commerce: COVID-19 Regional Updates and Impacts Recording
- Halifax County Chamber of Commerce: COVID-19 Halifax County Employer Briefing Recording
- SBDC- Lynchburg Region: Tips & Tricks for Working From Home Recording
- Canon Virginia partners with New College Institute (NCI) in Martinsville, Virginia to manufacture face shields
- Small business owners in Danville form 'Small Business Task Force'
- Danville IDA approves three new emergency grant, loan programs for small businesses
- Community Comes Together to Support Local Healthcare Providers - SVHEC R&D Center supports local effort to make aerosol boxes for medical staff treating COVID-19 patients
- In response to COVID-19, Eastman rapidly produces material for needed face shields
- PHCC donates thousands of masks, other equipment to healthcare workers
- In a spirit of helping, Dry Fork Fruit Distillery churning out hand sanitizer during pandemic
- To support shortage, Gloster employees producing masks
- SVHEC, SVCC Donate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital
- Martinsville shop goes into mask production to address shortage of medical-grade masks for hospitals and nursing homes
- Coronavirus brings distilleries, NASCAR full circle
- IDA Board Addresses Economic Downturn - Coronavirus-related updates pertaining to small businesses
- Patrick Henry Community College's Fab Lab makes protective face shields for medical workers
- Springfield Distillery shifts production to hand sanitizer
- Dan River Region leaders discuss local response to virus
SoVa COVID-19 Task Force News
- To help businesses, SoVa COVID-19 Task Force forms
- VIRUS-RELATED BRIEFS: SoVa COVID-19 task force formed; SCORE sets webinar
- Regional economic developers create SoVa COVID-19 Task Force
- COVID-19 task force formed
- Press Release SoVa COVID-19 Task Force Formed
SoVa COVID-19 Task Force Members: Rebecca Adcock, Patrick County Chamber of Commerce; Corrie Bobe, City of Danville Economic Development; Brian Brown, Halifax County IDA; Alexis Ehrhardt, Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce; Mark Gignac, Institute for Advanced Learning and Research; Linda Green, Southern Virginia Regional Alliance; Mitzi McCormick, Halifax County Chamber of Commerce; Matt Rowe, Pittsylvania County Economic Development; Bryce Simmons, Patrick County Economic Development; Lisa Watkins, Martinsville Henry County Chamber of Commerce.